Gartner marketing analytics research highlights that in 2017-18 about 9.2 percent of marketing budgets were consumed by marketing analytics alone. However, a majority of marketing teams continue to wrangle data, rather than provide data-driven insights. This is because the organizations lack adequate tools to optimize data gathering, preparation, and visualization. Datorama is one such end-to-end marketing integration platform that allows marketers to gather all their data, KPIs and stakeholders spread across channels, teams, platforms, etc. The platform is fast gaining popularity among organizations. Let’s understand what it is all about in this blog post to help you judge if it fits your business proposition.
What is Datorama?
Datorama is designed to make cross-channel reporting and insights easy. Datorama automatically integrates all the marketing tools, which results in less time being spent in spreadsheets and there is more time to act on the insights to drive KPIs.
With Datorama marketers can unify the humongous volumes of data they possess, map it and harmonize it to create new calculated fields, build beautiful visualizations, analyze & predict market or customer behavior.
Importing Data into Datorama
Datorama provides the solution for one of the biggest marketing barrier – siloed data. It allows marketers to connect data from multiple sources via their APIs and maintain it at one place. All the APIs are available in the data stream option. The marketers can use the predefined API connectors or Dynamic Landing Zones to extract the data as well as map the reports.
The Main Entity
Every Data Stream Type has one Entity defined as a Main Entity. The Main Entity is the most commonly used level of data for that specific Data Stream Type, and it enables an optimal display of the data. Furthermore, the main entity is the only Entity in the Data Stream linked to the Cross Channel Entities.
The different types of Data Streams:
- Ads data model
- Buy data
- Web analytics
- Email marketing
Datorama provides certain functionalities that make life easy for markets, such as:
Centralizing Marketing Reports
Marketers can unify all their search, social, CRM, advertising (or whatever the marketing mix is) at one place.
Real-time Dashboards & Insights
It helps optimize and report in-the-moment information through instant KPI dashboards and AI-powered insights.
Cross-channel Visibility & Control
Markets can keep a watch on the channels, campaigns, and content that is best driving their KPIs and work on the things that are not working.
Optimize Your Marketing Performance
Datorama makes data actionable with goals, alerts, and real-time insights for smarter decision and higher ROI.
- Connect API: Datorama allows easy connectivity to various data sources through API connectors, such as Google Adwords and Facebook.
- Data Load Rules: Datorama has certain data loading rules in place. All the data is filtered before it is uploaded to ensure unwanted data does not make its way into the database.
- Total Connect: It is a feature that allows marketers to integrate all kinds of data in different formats in real-time. Total Connect leverages machine learning to gain insight from the millions of data streams already mapped across the platform. It, therefore, eliminates the need for manual collection of data (a pre-requisite for other visualization and BI tools).
In Datorama, Dashboards are a group of visual elements based on the data the marketers have in their account. We can think of Dashboards as notebooks, with each Dashboard containing multiple pages and each page containing multiple Widgets for basic graphical representations.
Dimensions and Measurements
The data in the Datorama system follows certain basic concepts, which are as follows:
- Dimension: a textual or date value, which allows slicing measurements (below), i.e., Month, Campaign Name, Channel, etc.
All Dimensions = All Keys and All Attributes of all the Entities in Datorama.
- Measurement: a numeric value sliced by a dimension, i.e., Media Cost, Impressions, Likes, etc.
The Datorama system allows the user to change the display name of Dimensions & Measurements. However, changing the display name does not change the function of the dimensions or measurement.
Goals & Highlighting Rules
- Goals: is a monitoring tool that enables tracking of Measurements, resulting in improved work strategies and outcome.
- Highlighting Rules: they mark and emphasize Measurements and Dimensions values according to defined criteria. As such, the rules aid in tracking Measurements in the dashboards. The highlighting rules are added in the dashboard as per the Widget.
Reports allow retrieving of the data already processed in the system in a flat file format. The reports can be customized to include necessary Dimensions and Measurements by defining the range of the data. Datorama allows report generation in real-time or schedules them to be feed through email, FTP or SFTP.
Possible use cases for reports –
- Creating a customized report to share with client/management on the performance of a campaign.
- Generating a report on processed data and feeding it into another data stream to further process the data, such as consolidating multiple DSP reports into a comprehensive report.
Action Center allows the users to act upon the results of a query, ordering the system to perform different actions, including sending emails, triggering scripts, or connecting to a 3rd party provider (like IFTTT).
The status of an action can be set through the ‘Status’ button in the top menu in the Action Center sub-tab under the Goals tab.
Workflow feature allows the user to set the execution order of Data Streams and Actions in your workspace, automating your business workflows and defining KPI or system event triggers to initiate conditional action sequences.
Media Cost Centre
Media Cost Center allows integrations of media buying information into Datorama account, i.e., from a media buying system.
Once the data is added to the users’ account, Datorama will do all the complicated calculations for the defined date ranges, according to the specified cost type and given rate, taking into account parameters such as monthly budget, booked units, and margins.
Datorama supports multiple data relationship models.
- 1 to many: it refers to the relationship between two entities Site and Media Buy, in which one element of the Site can be linked to multiple elements of Media Buy; however only one Media Buy can only be linked to one Site.
- Many to many: it refers to the relationship between Media Buy and Creative, in which one Media Buy can be linked to many Creatives and vice versa.
Datorama is committed to the security of client’s data and employs a variety of industry-standard security technologies and procedures to help protect their information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. Here are the few proactive approaches and procedures followed by Datorama for maximum security.
Password Protected User Access:
The users need to authenticate themselves using a username and password to access data. The information is transmitted over SSL-encrypted channels to prevent hackers from intercepting.
The two-factor authentication is a highly recommended security approach that adds an extra layer of protection the account. In a two-factor authentication, the user requires a six-digit security code – sent via a separate authentication app – in addition to the password to sign in.
Datorama allows for an unlimited number of authorized users to be associated with an individual account.
Datorama’s platform is being monitored 24-hours a day from multiple and redundant monitoring applications and systems.
In Datorama the data backup happens every day and even during the course of the day. These backups are stored and on redundant drives in the local network as well as on a remote site. The backup data is encrypted not just during transit but also while it is stored.
In the End
For a marketer, it is mostly about visualizing and interacting with data; however, it is having the right information displayed on the dashboard that sets the ball rolling for business improvements. Datorama is with its excellent data gathering, preparation, and visualization features ensure marketers are always armed with the right knowledge to make informed decisions. We hope this insight into the world of Datorama, will urge you to integrate the platform into your business decision making. Do share your experience with Datorama in the comments below.
Also, let us know if there’s something we have missed that makes Datorama one-of-a-kind marketing platform.
Until next time!
- Manager’s Dilema: SAS vs R vs Python
There are countless articles on this topic already, and I must begin by accepting that I am quite late to this superstar battle. However, every time these champions of analytics…
- AI in Banking(2) – Chatbots
Hello readers, as promised, we are here with our 2nd blog in the series of blogs on “AI in Banking and Financial Services”, focusing on Chatbots. As discussed in the…
- KAFKA-Druid Integration with Ingestion DIP Real Time Data
The following blog explains how we can leverage the power of Druid to ingest the DIP data into Druid (a high performance, column oriented, distributed data store), via Kafka Tranquility…
- AI in Banking and Financial Services (AML)
Recently HSBC announced that it is implementing AI technology to automate AML investigations - (Source: Reuters 01-June-2017) Similarly, many more banks have started using AI technology in various fields. Since…
- Dynamic Pie Charts in Tableau
Tableau is arguably one of the most preferred data visualization tools in the Business Intelligence Industry. It converts raw data into easily understandable formats, enabling marketers, researchers, business owners, and…
- Column Store Index in SQL Server 2012
This post is about the new feature, i.e., Column Store Index which is available since SQL 2012 version. Microsoft has released column store index to improve the performance by 10x.…